Responsible for the operation of the plant, working a 12-hour rotating shift schedule and overtime as required to ensure maximum production quantity and quality, while supporting the policies, goals, and objectives of the company.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
Utility Operator – the Utility Operator’s primary responsibility is to keep the correct green coke (according to the production plan) going into the 30 ton hoppers to feed the KFT’s. The Utility Operator is to ensure housekeeping is maintained on the green coke pad and yard at all times.
- Operates mobile conveying equipment, (for example: pay loaders, bobcat, excavator, rail road switch engine, forklift, cherry picker, etc.)
- Performs preventive maintenance checks of equipment and reports any problems or safety issues to appropriate personnel.
- Performs area “clean-up” duties which shall include shoveling, sweeping, handling of debris.
- Take ownership of assigned area by maintaining work area and equipment in a safe, clean, and orderly condition at all times. Issues work permits and participates in equipment maintenance processes as directed.
- Communicates with outside vendors for pickup and delivery of product, equipment, and supplies.
- Troubleshoot and perform minor maintenance on equipment in their respective area.
- Participates in the continuous improvement of product and plant processes and performs other duties as required. Performs product sampling activities (collection, processing, labeling, reporting) as directed.
JOB COMPLEXITY AND SCOPE
Performs activities planned by others. Although most of the aspects of work are defined, parts are variable—with occasional unexpected tasks, problems, or processes. Participates in problem solving activities related to improving safety, production, environmental compliance, and general work environment.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) or equivalent combination of education and experience. Bulk Terminal and/or heavy equipment operation experience is a plus. Requires record keeping skills with attention to detail. Microsoft Office and SAP skills are a plus.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to present information to small groups.
Work requires resolving mutual problems and collaborating with others.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute and/or understand rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and/or interpret bar graphs—like those used for Statistical Process Control.
Ability to solve practical problems using available tools, resources, etc. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands and/or fingers to handle or feel, reach above shoulder height, stoop, kneel, crouch or squat, twist, crawl, and climb ladders. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, drive (forklifts, loaders, material handler (excavator) or other vehicles), and talk or hear. The employee is also required several times each week to climb and/or balance on multiple flights of stairs. The employee is required to lift, push, or pull – up to 10 pounds regularly, up to 25 pounds frequently, and up to 50 pounds occasionally. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Hearing protection is often required. May be required to wear respiratory protection.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to working near moving mechanical parts, working in high and/or precarious places, extreme heat, periodic vibration, outdoor weather conditions, and dusty environment. The noise level in the work environment may require hearing protection. Dust levels in certain areas may also require a dust mask.
(This Job Description reflects the general level and nature of the Position. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.)